Sony Discman D-10 Black Portable CD Player
The Sony D-10 or D-100 in the Japanese market was the flagship Discman from 1988. It was retailed for approximately $350 U.S dollars. The D-10 stands out from the competition in several ways. First of all, it measures 5 inches long by 5 inches width and being just 3/4 inch thick, it was the thinnest portable CD players available back then. It is just amazing how Sony's engineer can fit its motor, disk drive, laser and all the digital decoding circuits into such a tiny space. By using more efficient chips, Sony was able to cut the power consumption of the D-10 by nearly 30 percent over the previous model, which means the D-10 can run for over four hours on a single charge using its rechargeable battery. Four hours of play time doesn't sound like much today but just so you know, most cassette and portable CD players can barely run for two hours.
As far as sound quality goes, the D-10 is probably one of the best sounding Sony Discman in history.
The headphone output is so powerful that it can drive most of today's low impedance headphone directly without using an external amplifier.
* Spindle Speed: 500 rpm to 200 rpm
* D-A Conversion: 16 bit linear
* Frequency Response: 20 ~ 20,000 Hz +1 -1 dB
* Dynamic Range: More than 90 dB
* Signal-to-noise ratio: More than 85 dB
* Wow and flutter: Below measurable limit.
* Outputs (at 9 Volt input level): Line output (stereo minijack) Output level 1.3 V rms
rms at 50 kilohms. Load impedance over 10 kilohms. Headphones (stereo minijack)
30 mW + 30 mW at 32 ohms.
* Power Requirement: Supplied: Rechargeable battery pack BP-100. DC IN 9 Volt jack
accepts; Sony AC power adaptor.
Optional: Lead acid battery (closed type) using Sony BP-200 rechargeable battery pack, 6V
Six size AA alkaline batteries (IEC designation LR6) using Sony EBP-360 battery case, 9V
DC IN 9V accepts; Sony DCC-120 car battery cord for use on 12V car battery.
* Power Consumption: 1.8W DC
* Dimensions: Approx. 125.8 x 19.8 x 132.8 mm (W/H/D)
* Weight: Approx. 420g (14.8oz) net.
Download Service Manual: