Sony Discman D-515 Portable Compact Disc Player
The Sony D-515 was a flagship Discman released in 1992. That's right, it is a higher specified model than the D-311 manufactured the same year. The D-515 is the first Sony Discman to use Sony's ESP technology or Electric Shock Protection. They way ESP works is that it reads ahead by spinning the CD faster and storing the data in a buffer. The D-515 has a three second buffer, some newer Discman have 10 second buffers. ESP can be enable or disabled. The LCD screen has an animated indicator that mimics filling up a pot with water droplet. Other notable features including 1-Bit DAC and 3 levels of Bass Boost (DDS). One thing that is worth mentioning is the battery compartment. It can either take a Sony BP2EX proprietary battery or two AA batteries. There's a spring connector for fitting the AA batteries that flips out when you move the slider inside the battery compartment. That was a very smart design. I wouldn't be able to listen to my D-515 on the go today without this design. Kudos to Sony engineers!
The D-515 built quality is excellent as expected from a flagship model manufactured in this golden era. It has a metal lid that has this one-of-a-kind shark grey glossy finish. All the chrome buttons really gives it a premium feel.
Sound quality is also great although it is not much better or different from the D-311, which is one of the best sounding Discman Sony ever manufactured. Soundstage is clear and well defined. Tonal quality is spot on and vocals are very clear. Separation and imaging is also excellent, you can easily tell the position of the instruments being played and where the singer is standing. Very impressive indeed!
* ESP (Electronic Shock Protection) System: This system stores the next 3 seconds of sound to be played in the memory. When the unit receives a physical shock which prevents laser pick-up from "reading" the CD, the sound stord is played back until the laser pick-up recovers. In this way, the CD sound can be heard with no skipping.
* Remote control unit equipped with liquid crystal display is supplied.
* BASS BOOST circuit emphasizes the bass sound.
* DDS (Digital Dynamic Sound) makes it easier to listen at noisy places.
* High quality 1-bit DAC (Digital Analog Converter) is included.
* Resume function enables you to play from where you have stopped.
* Dimensions: Approx. 128 x 28.4 x 145 mm ( 5 1/8 x 1 1/8 x 5 3/4 inches) (w/h/d) including projecting parts and controls.
* Weight: Approx. 400g not including rechargeable battery pack.
* Supplied accessories: Headphones with remote commander (1), AC power adaptor (1), Rechargeable battery pack (1), Car mount adaptor (1), Carrying case (1), Connecting cord (1), stereo mini plug - two phono plugs.
* Line output ( stereo minijack): Output level: 0.9V rms at 50 kilohms. Load impedance: over 10 kilohms. Headphone (stereo minijack) 4 mW + 4 mW at 16 ohms
* Battery pack: BP-2EX, LR6 size AA.
* DC IN 9 Volt.
Play Time on Rechargeable Battery Pack: